Creating a heather lifestyle doesn’t have to be complicated, but does it require commitment. It takes 21 days to create a new habit and 6 months for that habit to take hold in your routine. Since life can get in the way, I recommend small step-by-step changes. The following list represents five simple health tips that you can incorporate into your life and have a great impact on your health, energy, and vitality. Pick one item at a time and do it for at least 3 weeks before adding another component to your lifestyle. When you’re doing it without constantly reminding yourself, you’re ready to move on to the next item.
1) Drink half of your “ideal“weight in ounces of water per day. If your ideal weight (not your actual weight) is 120 pounds, you should drink 60 ounces of water per day. Even mild dehydration will cause a 3% drop in your initial metabolism. That means you will gain 1 pound of fat every 6 months! Drinking water minimizes bloating and water retention in women. These symptoms are usually the result of a lack of hydration. Drinking lots of water is the way to eliminate the fat and toxins stored in the fat cells and also the way to prevent muscle cramps. When muscle cells don’t have adequate fluids, they don’t work as well and performance can suffer. When exercising, you should aim to drink 3 to 5 ounces of water every 20 minutes. Drinking your 8-10 glasses of water in one sitting is not enough. For maximum effectiveness, staying “evenly” hydrated throughout the day is our body’s way of metabolizing fat. In addition, adequate hydration keeps our kidneys and intestines healthy. Getting proper hydration also gives you younger-looking skin. Symptoms associated with mild dehydration are weakness, muscle cramps, headaches, irritability, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, palpitations, and anxiety.
2) Get Your Vitamin D Levels Tested. More than 80% of Americans are deficient in vitamin D. This is especially prevalent during the winter months. Research shows that adequate levels of vitamin D can boost your immune system and lower your risk of cancer. You can buy vitamin D3 in supplement form or you can spend some time in the sun, although your body can only make vitamin D from UVB rays and during certain times of the day. There is an application for smartphones called Dbodyguard. This application will allow you to know at what time of the day, according to your geographical location, the sun is at the right angle and generates UVB rays so that your body can produce vitamin D. In some geographical areas there will be times of the year when you will not be able to generate vitamin D from sun exposure and they will need to get it in the form of supplements or special tanning beds. This application takes into account all the scientific data plus your personal profile, which includes skin pigmentation, weight and age. When you’re ready to start getting out in the sun, enter the type of clothing you’re wearing and turn on the timer. When you have maximized your vitamin D production for the day, an alarm will sound to end your session. For those of you who don’t enjoy the outdoors or live in a place where you cannot generate vitamin D, there are plenty of vitamin D supplements. Look for vitamin D in the form of D3. The recommended daily allowance is controversial, but 1000-5000 mg is generally recommended. For more information on this topic, visit mercola.com
3) Go to bed before 10 at night. Since I know this will be a challenge, start by going to bed a little earlier each night and work until 10pm for a period of three weeks. The latest studies on sleep indicate that the deepest and most regenerative sleep occurs between 10 p.m. M. And 2 a. M. If your body is chronically deprived of “regenerative sleep” between 10 pm. M. And 2 a. M., You may still feel tired and have a hard time getting up in the morning. At 10 p.m., your body goes through a series of transformations following the increased production of melatonin. Melatonin not only helps regulate your sleep / wake cycle, it is also responsible for the repair and restoration of your body. A reduction in your physical and mental activity is necessary for this 10 pm shift to occur. Watching television, reading from an electronic device, or bright LED watches all impact melatonin production and the subsequent chain reaction that drives your body into deep sleep. This is a good reason to buy paperbacks and a book lamp! You can also listen to relaxing music. Getting a good night’s sleep can build longevity and health. Deep sleep at night helps you fight stress, maintain a healthy weight, and keep your energy levels high. A simple health tip for those who want to lose weight: get a minimum of 5 hours of sleep a night.
4) Eat more fruits and vegetables. When we eat a diet rich in whole foods, we feed our bodies thousands of micronutrients that stabilize blood sugar and cholesterol, reduce weight, boost the immune system, reverse heart disease, and prevent cancer. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but a mushroom a day will help keep cancer away! The micronutrients found in fruits and vegetables are very powerful antioxidants. Micronutrients create many protective compounds for cells. Many of these compounds, such as polyphenols, flavonoids, carotenoids, and phytoestrogens, have significant health benefits and are an essential component for optimal health. Carotenoid-rich micronutrients are found in carrots, tomatoes, squash, broccoli, and spinach. Dark red, purple, or black vegetables provide rich sources of polyphenols. Flavonoids are found in nuts, seeds, grains, green tea, red wine, kale, and lemons. Phytoestrogens are found in soybeans and flaxseed. If you don’t have access to a variety of fresh produce, supplement your diet with a good concentrated whole-food formula. It is important to incorporate raw and cooked vegetables into your diet. A simple health tip is that grilling vegetables is easy, quick, and delicious. Cut the vegetables into small pieces, drizzle them with olive oil, add salt, pepper and a little cayenne pepper. Grill at 420 degrees for about 20 minutes. To change it up, add raw walnuts or dried cranberries in the last five minutes of cooking. You can squeeze fresh lemon juice or shake some Parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.
5) Exercise for 20 minutes a day. You don’t need to commit suicide in the gym for hours. You can make a big profit from just 20 minutes of activity a day, and even walking the dog counts! If you can think of exercise as a play date, then it may be something to look forward to rather than something to do! Find something you like to do and do it. It can be tennis, swimming, hiking, jogging, weight lifting, Zumba aerobics, dancing, pole dance, kickboxing, boxing, cardio bar, Nia, yoga, cycling, jumping rope, hula hooping, stair climbing or even just throwing baskets . Think of something you loved to do and then do it again! If you can commit to any physical activity for 20 minutes a day, it can have a huge impact on your health and really boost your metabolism! Running on a treadmill for 20 minutes a day at 4 mph will take you 26 days to lose 1 pound of fat. That’s a total of 14 pounds of fat in one year with this simple health tip. There are many sizes of pants! There are so many fun ways to lose weight and get fit while improving your heart health, reducing stress, increasing endorphins, and building muscle.
None of these simple health tips is rocket science. In fact, I bet you already knew most of these things, but you don’t. I spent years searching for complicated diets and supplements to get me in optimal shape. The best medicine I had, I already knew it, I just didn’t make it. Make your New Years Resolution a lifestyle change to incorporate healthy habits three weeks at a time!